Are you looking to add new services to your embroidery business? If so, direct-to-film transfers may be a great option for you! This process allows you to create multi-color designs using a heat press. By adding this service, you’ll be able to offer your customers more options and bring in additional revenue. Keep reading to learn more about direct-to-film transfers and how they can benefit your business.
What Is DTF Printing?
The Direct To Film or DTF process uses a heat-press machine to transfer prints onto fabric or other substrates. Unlike the DTG method, which is restricted to cotton fabrics, the Printer DTF method can be used on both cotton and polyester blends.
The direct-to-film printer is quickly becoming a popular choice for businesses in the printing industry as it provides the user with an unprecedented amount of freedom when choosing a printing surface.
DTF printers make it a breeze to print on any type of fabric, from cotton and polyester to synthetic or silk. You’ll also be able to use this printer on both dark- and light-colored fabrics without having to go through the trouble (and expense) of using A & B paper.
How Does Direct To Film Printing Work
Step 1: Your Artwork Is Created
First, your artwork is created using a RIP software program with DTF transfer capability. During this stage, the ICC profile is also obtained from the film manufacturer. This will ensure that the color quality is optimized for the final product.
Step 2: Your Image Is Printed
After the art is created, the image is printed onto the PET film. Direct-to-film printers are often used to do this. A DTF printer is a large format printer that prints directly onto the film without requiring a transfer tape. The ink used in this process is ultraviolet-curable and designed specifically for DTF printing.
Step 3: Hot Melt Powder Is Added
Once the image is printed on the PET film, a layer of hot melt adhesive powder is added. This helps to ensure that the printed image adheres to the substrate material when it is applied during installation.
Step 4: Heat Is Applied
The PET film with the printed image and hot melt powder is then placed on a platen where heat is applied. This heat activates the adhesive properties of the hot melt powder and fuses it with the substrate material.
Step 5: The Transfer Is Removed
When the heat is applied, the transfer can be removed from the substrate material. The printed image will now be securely adhered to the material, ready for use.
How Adding DTF To Your Business Can Be More Profitable
A DTF addition can profit your business in many ways; some include:
1. Impress Clients With Multimedia
A 150,000-stitch embroidery design is impressive with its color variations and dimensional stitch types, but it costs time and money to digitize that design and sew it out if you pay a digitizer and a machine operator. Remember, there are about 1,000 stitches per square inch of fill.
If you’ve been to a retail store recently, you know that multimedia designs are trending on everything from T-shirts and jackets to jeans and headwear. These designs often feature embroidery, print, reverse appliqué, nailheads, and Swarovski crystals.
By fusing embroidery with other design types, like DTF, you can make garments that are worthy of selling in stores. Not only does this keep your clients returning, but it also reduces production time and cuts costs for operators.
2. Say Goodbye To Slow Times With Diversification
The great thing about DTF is that once you have the initial set-up done, it’s a very fast process. This is perfect for those times when your embroidery machines are sitting idle because you can quickly produce designs using your heat press. Adding DTF to your business can help you make the most of slow times and keep revenue coming in.
3. There’s No Limit To What You Can Create
With embroidery, you’re limited by the number of thread colors that can be used in a design. But with DTF, there are no such limits! You can use as many colors as you want to create truly unique designs. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for your business and allows you to get creative with your offerings.
4. It’s A Great Way To Add Personalization
One of the hottest trends in the garment decorating industry is personalization. And with DTF, it’s easy to create personalized designs that are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re adding a name, initials, or a special message, DTF is a great way to create custom garments that your customers will love.
5. You Can Use Any Design You Want
Another benefit of DTF is that you can use any design you want – there are no restrictions like there are with embroidery. So if you have a customer who wants a specific design that can’t be digitized, DTF is the perfect solution.
6. It’s A Great Way To Test Out New Designs
If you’re thinking about adding a new design to your embroidery collection, but you’re not sure how it will be received, DTF is a great way to test it out. You can create a small batch of garments using the design and see how they sell before you commit to digitizing it. This can help you avoid the costly mistake of investing in a design that no one wants.
7. It’s Perfect For Short-run Orders
Another advantage of DTF over other printing methods, like screen printing, is that it’s perfect for short-run orders. If you have a customer who only needs a few garments, it’s much more cost-effective to use DTF than it is to embroider them. This can help you stay competitive and win more business.
DTFs Vs. DTG? Why You Should Choose DTF Technology For Your Business
Here are some reasons why you should choose DTFs for your business:
• Quicker production time -When printing with DTG printers, the process is much slower than other printing solutions since it prints designs line by line. If you have an entry-level DTG printer, expect to print between 15 and 20 t-shirts per hour–and that’s not even including the time you need to pretreat garments beforehand. Although the process may be slow, there are ways to speed up production, such as pretreating garments ahead of time or investing in pre-treated garments from various stores. On the other hand, DTF printers can produce as much as 3 times the amount of prints as a Direct to garment printer in half the time.
• More Durable Prints -The hot melt powder and heat used when printing with a DTF printer helps to create stronger bonds between the PET film, DTF ink, and the substrate. This means that your prints will be more durable and longer lasting than those printed with a DTG printer.
• Large Order Sizes – DTG printing is great for small orders but not so much for large ones. The increased cost per item with larger runs makes this method unfavorable in the long term. DTFs are more suitable for large orders due to its faster printing process and longer-lasting prints. Another great thing is that you can print out transfer films of popular designs ahead of time and keep them on hand for future orders. You could even sell the films on their own as those who purchase them can use the design to decorate anything they want- not just clothing!
DTF printing is a great option for businesses that want to offer high-quality, custom garments. This process has many benefits, including the fact that it’s versatile, quick, and doesn’t require pre-treatment. If you’re considering DTF printing for your business, be sure to invest in a quality heat press and use high-quality DTF transfers. Doing so will ensure that you get the best results possible.
Need DTFs For Your Printing Business? Shop From Limitless Transfers
Limitless Transfers has a variety of DTF transfers for you to choose from. Our DTF transfers come in a wide range of colors and sizes, so you can find the perfect transfer for your project.
How It Works
Submit Your Design
Use our easy-to-use Design Studio to upload or create custom designs, edit existing artwork, or start from a blank canvas!
We Print Your Direct-To-Film Transfers
With our innovative CMYK+W DTF printer and heavy-duty rip software, you can get the most precise colors possible while still keeping intricate details. The transfers are hot peel so that you can churn out a large number of products quickly!
Get it Delivered to Your Doorstep & Create!
We know that time is money, so we pride ourselves on our quick turnaround time. Your product will ship within 24-48 hours of your purchase. Just cut out the transfers and start profiting!
All our transfers are made with the highest quality materials and have been tested to ensure they last. Shop now!